New Landing How can we help? Themeforest Theme Support Dante How do I update WordPress and the latest Dante version.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Posted in: Dante
    Jknurse

When trying to update to the latest version of WordPress parts of the site are missing.

I assume that the Dante Theme requires updating.

I have now purchased the latest version of Dante to get some advice and support.
    There appears little information in the documentation that explains how to update Dante only how to install a new complete site.
    So is there a correct procedure.

I have changed the folder name of the new Dante version to Dante New and likewise for the child and ftp them to the themes folder. Not sure if changing the name will affect issues with any coding, but this has allow me to compare files. I could have overwrote the originals but this way has allowed me to check and understand first.

In the original Dante I have a folder called Buddypress and two extra templates .php files which are not in the latest version.
    In the original Dante Child there are a number of files and a woocommerce folder with files in.
    footer.php
    functions.php
    general.js
    header.php
    index.php
    page.php
    search.php
    single.php
    single.galleries.php
    single portfolio.php
    style.css

Will all of these still be compatible with the new version or will they require recreating, I notice that the new functions.php is total different, the style css I can understand that just links to the original with extra items.
    Also there are a number of plugins that require updating.

I think that gives you all my observations so could you please explain the best procedure on how to get the site fully up to date.
    Many Thanks
    John

David Martin – Support

Hi John,

The latest version of Dante is: v3.3.32. Updating the core WP version should not causing elements to go missing unless there is a deeper issue.

To update the parent theme, you should have a dashboard notification which will run the auto update for you. Should you wish to manually update the theme, you can follow this: http://www.swiftideas.com/knowledgebase/how-to-manually-update-your-theme/.

– Regarding your child theme, are you aware of what you are using this to override which core theme functions? You will need to copy the new updated versions to the child theme to overwrite the old, you will need to check and merge any changes you have made.

Thanks,
    David.

Jknurse

Hi David
    Thanks for your reply.
    How compatible is our V.99.99 of Dante with the latest version of WordPress?

Our site was create by a company who have now gone out of business, so we are left holding the baby.

There is no option to auto update the theme and we only have the Dante Theme including the child, and it appears all the original WordPress themes have been removed. But like I said I have now added the new version 3.3.32 by changing the folder name to allow me to compare.

I listed all the files on my first message that are in org child but its the functions.php that’s a bit confusing the new one in the child is totally different to the old.

What order should I try first.
    Dante Theme
    Plugin updates
    Wordpress

Or what?

I am prepared to try and do this myself but is there an option to employ someone to help do this.
    Thanks

David Martin – Support

Hi John,

Having looked at the theme, v99.99 seems an arbitrary number to stop our auto updater working. The problem with this is, the previous company that worked for you may have made changes knowing that an update would not work with their customisation.

1) Please remove the Dante (new) and Dante child (new) from your server
    2) Please add your FTP details and I will take a close look at the files to first work out which version you are using.
    3) I’ll confirm my assumed actual theme version you have here.

Once those are done we will go from there.

Jknurse
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Jknurse

Hi David
    Did you get the details you ask for, I set the reply as private so was unsure.

John

David Martin – Support

Hi John,

I would only be guessing on the version number here, but assuming it might be: 3+ which is really vague.

Only the previous dev’s might know this.

– Disable the child theme, so only the parent is active.
    – If you can start by update the WP core & all plugins.
    – Please then update the core parent theme version to 3.2, I have enabled the auto updater for you to help: http://www.totalmastsolutions.com/wp-admin/update-core.php?force-check=1.

Jknurse

Hi David

Will I need to re-activate the child after all updates, and do I need to do anything with the files in the child.

Will try the update tomorrow, fingers crossed it will be ok.

Many Thanks
    John

David Martin – Support

If the update goes smoothly, you will want to re-activate the child theme and re-test.

If any errors crop up, report them here and I’ll try to help further. It’s tricky as those child theme files would likely contain modifications that I and you would not know what they are.

If you do need to update the child theme files, the modifications might be lost if you are not aware of what changes the previous devs made.

Thanks.

Jknurse

Hi David

I did the update as you describe but there were items missing on the home.

So I decided to run the backup I had in the backup plugin this was taken after your changes.

But now its gone completely in a mess I am unable to access the admin I get 500 page error.

For now I have set an index.html file showing the site is in maintenance mode.

Can you please advise urgently.

Thanks

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster
    Jknurse

Hi
    This is the last enter in the log.

[10-Feb-2017 19:10:29 UTC] PHP Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, first array member is not a valid class name or object in /home/admin31/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 300

Thanks

Jknurse

Hi
    How do we now recover the site.

Unable to login to backend and the front is totally messed up.

Thanks

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Now only with ftp, provide it to me so I can try to help you.
    -Rui

Jknurse
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for the following item
Login and Registration Log in · Register