New Landing How can we help? Cardinal Visual issues after update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Posted in: Cardinal
    HiroiSekai

Hello support,

After one of the more recent updates, several of my images were not as responsive as before. While I have changed that (which took a lot of work), my search button in my header is still not clickable. I can’t seem to find why that is, and it is stunting an often used feature on my site.

Also, I’m not sure why, but the “related posts” section generates the same results on several posts. I understand that it is likely grabbing big keywords/titles and feeding them into that section sorted by date, but is there a way to adjust the algorithm so I get some unique results with some variety per post? If you start at the first post on this page (http://hiroi-sekai.com/page/14/) and check each post, you’ll notice it just reverts to the first 4 posts for the related posts section.

Finally, this is just a feature request, but can we have a more visually engaging pop up/slide in mobile sidebar section? Currently, it just shows a few titles on a black background and it’s considerably less visually interesting than desktop versions.

Thanks as always!

David Martin – Support

1)

.full-center .header-right {
        z-index: 9999;
    }

2) The related posts will get the latest posts from the same categories that the main post is within. What is a post link, looks like you linked me to a page.

3) I will pass your feedback back to the team.

Thanks.

HiroiSekai

1) Problem solved, thanks! There was something else moving my .ajax-search-results bar back up, but that was a simple fix.

2) Here are two posts with similar categories/titles, but separated by a year in posting date:
    http://hiroi-sekai.com/stargazing-beautiful/ (from 2011)
    http://hiroi-sekai.com/stargazing-call-me/ (from 2012)

I do at least 31 of these posts a year, and these 31 are usually one a day in December. Is there a way to alter what shows up in related posts through the PHP documents? I’ve been getting feedback from followers that every one of the posts in this category always recommends the very first 4 posts of this category I made back from December 1-4, 2011. At best, I’d love for it to take the posts with that category tag or titling system, then randomly generate four posts to show for variety.

3) Many thanks, much appreciated. The current mobile menu is so heavily engrained into the PHP that I’m uncertain of trying to break it down and make my own. It would be great to have some customizability for a completely different look!

Much appreciated as always, great help.

HiroiSekai

Quick update: once I cleared my website cache, that bit of CSS caused the search icon to be clickable across the entire width of my header. Naturally, my page links are not clickable. What is causing this?

Also regarding the search that I forgot to ask: just like the way related posts are selected, is there a way to alter how the search feature sorts through posts as well? At the moment, I’m thinking it takes the search query and just looks for any appearances of those terms within any posts on the site. The problem with this is that the results shown are often not matching to the titles themselves. Is there a way to change the search results to use the terms to search titles instead of post appearances? If I type “2011” I want to see posts with 2011 in the title, not posts from 2016 where I happened to mention that year.

Would really appreciate the help on this menu issue as well as the search and related posts limits. Thanks!

David Martin – Support

1) If you can remove that CSS, please use this:

.full-center .float-menu {
        max-width: 80%;
        margin: 0 auto;
    }

2) The search is the default WP search functionality. You will need to work with a developer to intergrate a search plugin such as Relevanssi – https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/relevanssi/.

3) Changing the Related items would also require the help of a developer as it is not a simple change and would fall outside the scope of support.

HiroiSekai

Thanks as always, David.

1) That fixed it up real good this time, many thanks.

2) Understood. Could you double check something though? Just for example, when I search “2011” in my search bar, my 5 shown results in the ajax_search_result section does not match up what I see when I click “See All # Results”. The 5 I see start at around 5 or 6 results down the page, bypassing the first few that actually make sense as a result. This is best demonstrated if:
    – You click the search on the homepage (http://hiroi-sekai.com)
    – Search “2011”
    – Note the 5 shown results
    – Click “View All 38 Results”
    – Find the 5 shown results above several posts below the top hits

There must be something wrong? It’s like there’s a offset counter affecting it or something.

3) Understood, fair enough.

Thanks as always.

David Martin – Support

No problem, the ajax filter uses a slightly different query to output the posts vs the default WP search.

You should be able to align the ajax results to the main search page.

In your child theme functions.php, place this and then re-test and compare the two results: https://gist.github.com/webadelic/19a35b8efc9f744141e55d78e77a32e4

HiroiSekai

Thanks David. I pasted the code into the functions.php file and nothing happened. I tried it on both the Cardinal and Cardinal Child themes to be sure, but no changes occurred. I did notice that the PHP does contain an “orderby:date” query, maybe that has to be altered? I’m not sure what else I could put in its place though.

Thanks

David Martin – Support

hmm, could you add your FTP details. That yielded the correct results on my dev version.

Thanks.

HiroiSekai
    This reply has been marked as private.
    David Martin – Support

hmm, I cannot use those:

HiroiSekai
    This reply has been marked as private.
    David Martin – Support

Got it, the port number was wrong.

– Can you enable the child theme, it’s not active currently.

Thanks.

HiroiSekai

Hi David,

I changed it back to the Child theme, no changes. I think the problem is the AJAX PHP you sent still sorts results by descending publish date, while the full results search page does a different type of sorting.

David Martin – Support

Please re-test now, using 2011 I can match the results for both Ajax and normal search.

Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for the following item
Login and Registration Log in · Register