New Landing How can we help? Themeforest Theme Support Uplift Trying to add a keyword search function, not super search

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Posted in: Uplift
    Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

The plugin was only a suggestion and don’t know 100% what it does. I know that is good to enhance the search.

The problem isn’t the accordion, the content of the accordion isn’t encrypted so if the search runs in the page it should find the text.

Has a said the default WordPress search doesn’t search inside the pages/posts. You have to achieve this using a plugin or customized code.

-Rui

nanhann

Just checking in on this. I’m curious. Do you or anyone else know of anyone who’s been able to use any search plugin or function to search within the accordion element?

To me, that’s the ultimate question.

Thanks,
    Nancy

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

I was testing this in my local server, and I was wrong. Actually WordPress by default searches inside the page content, doesn’t matter if inside an accordion or any other asset.

The Relevanssi plugin was causing the issues.

This was my text
    http://info.aladvantage.com/?s=internet+browser

with this result.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9g556saf29jlxp/Screenshot%202017-01-18%2019.01.16.png?dl=0

Can you check it again? apologize for my incorrect information.

-Rui

nanhann

Hi Rui,

I see that it says “1 result for internet explorer”, but if you look at that page it doesn’t display the result anywhere. I did a search with the “?s=” for the word “care” and is also said 1 result, but that word is on the page multiple times, so it’s clearly not finding everything.

I also still don’t understand why the format/layout of the results page can’t be changed. It shows an empty box for an image taking up the majority of space on the screen. Very ugly.

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

It says 1 result because it’s referring to a page or a post, basically it’s saying that found the searched term inside 1 page or 1 post. It doesn’t count the number of occurrences of that text. That’s how the WordPress search works.

Regarding the search page it can’t be changed visually, but the page template can be customized by any developer.

-Rui

nanhann

Hmmm, I’m not understanding.

Every search function I’ve ever used will show the results of what it found on the results page. That’s kind of the point, right? If it doesn’t display the results what’s the point of doing the search? It’s like saying, “Yes, we found what you’re looking for, but we’re not going to tell you where it is.”

I’m sure that’s not the way the WP search function is designed to work.

So, I’m back to believing that the Accordion format is somehow blocking the search function from working properly.

Thanks for any help you can give to get this resolved.

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Well in WordPress it gives you the link of the page where the terms were found so it’s telling you where it is. If it founds 50 occurrences of the search terms in the same page are you expecting to highlight that information in the search results page?

Try to install the default WordPress theme and create a page with the content you have on the accordions and do a search to see the results.

-Rui

nanhann

I’ve added the Search Element from your theme options to the page now. When I do a search it sometimes says that it found 1 result, but there’s no link to the result anywhere on the page, unless I’m missing it.

Can you tell me where you’re seeing the link to the content on the results page?

Thanks again,

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

That big thumbnail is the link, check in my screenshot the left bottom corner where you can see that the link directs to the FAQ page.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tfp5url8kinoy1/Screenshot%202017-01-19%2018.10.46.png?dl=0

-Rui

nanhann

That’s disappointing. I can’t imagine anyone would realize that was the result. Also, if it’s only giving the page link, then it’s not very helpful since the point is to search within the page.

It’s also disappointing that the Relevanssi plugin returns even worse results. I still think it’s an issue with the Accordion Element, but I’ll test it and let you know what results I get with a page without the Accordion.

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Just asked a colleague and there is one option that changes a bit the layout of the results page and other archive templates.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8fftbrgxj9cj9a/Screenshot%202017-01-19%2018.31.14.png?dl=0

This is how it looks in the mini option.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0z435xv1w8sdwqr/Screenshot%202017-01-19%2018.29.15.png?dl=0

That’s definitely not the way it works the WordPress search, I’m not saying that is correct but it works differently and it doesn’t provide any extra options.

-Rui

nanhann

I appreciate your help on the layout, but unfortunately if the search function doesn’t work, it’s somewhat irrelevant how the page is laid out.

Thanks again.

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

No problem.

-Rui

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for the following item
Login and Registration Log in · Register