Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
    Mohammad – SUPPORT

HI,
    What error have you got after using this statement ?

With Best Regards
    Swift Ideas

creatorofstuff
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Hi @creatorofstuff,

That code isn’t related, can you check what you have in the child theme functions.php file?

The code for the child theme language file loading should be:

load_theme_textdomain('swiftframework', get_stylesheet_directory_uri() .'/language');

Then place your files in /language/ within the child theme.

– Ed

creatorofstuff

I was waiting for the next theme update to work on this problem (since I had already edited the en_US.po file for Neighborhood, so I would not be able to see whether the child language files were being used or not) but it remains the same. I still get the above error message if I put a functions.php file in the child theme with that code. If I remove the functions.php file, the error code goes away but language folder in the child theme is ignored.

Any other thoughts on this? Thanks.

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

@creatorofstuff – can you paste the contents of your child theme functions.php here – http://pastie.org and then post the link so that I can check?

Thanks,

– Ed

creatorofstuff

I used the functions.php file from the theme. Here is the section of code that was in the functions.php in the child theme:
    http://pastie.org/9105689

I realized that I probably did a dumb thing by copying the entire functions.php file from the theme and then adding that line of code, so I redid it with only that line of code, but I still get an error message.

This is how the entire second functions.php reads. Clearly that is wrong, too.
    http://pastie.org/9105665

I apologize if this problem is due to my utter ignorance of php. Thank you very much for helping me with it.

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

That 2nd one should work fine. The first would cause issues as it’s redeclaring functions.

– Ed

creatorofstuff

I tried the second one again, this time with no error message, but it still doesn’t use the new language file. Is there something more I need to do? There is a folder in my child theme called “language”, and it contains the en_US.mo and en_US.po files. (I know those files are good because those are the ones I was originally putting into the actual theme language folder after every update. But I’m trying to put them in the child theme so I don’t have to keep doing that.)

Confused!

creatorofstuff

Sorry to post again, but I had to remove that functions.php file from the child theme because I was unable to update social media urls without getting error messages. (Not that it was working anyway, since it had no effect on seeing the language files.)

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home2/…/public_html/wp-content/themes/neighborhood-child/functions.php:7) in /home2/…/public_html/wp-content/plugins/yith-woocommerce-wishlist/functions.yith-wcwl.php on line 118

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home2/…/public_html/wp-content/themes/neighborhood-child/functions.php:7) in /home2/…/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1121

I think I’m destined to have to replace the language files every time you update the theme unless there is a good way to do it without messing up something else.

This is sort of frustrating. Thanks for your time.

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Hm.. I’ve looked into it a little further and I’m not sure if it’s possible as standard.. Check out these and see if they work for you?

http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/113391/do-child-themes-automatically-load-the-translation-from-the-parent-theme

http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/7365/link-to-a-po-file-in-a-child-theme

– Ed

creatorofstuff

Oh wow, I read through these, and they are admittedly above my head. The second link had some possibilities but I don’t feel competent to implement them. I think I will just upload the language translation files I have edited as a part of my update process for now, unless I can miraculously figure it out.

I really appreciate you taking the time to check it out. I’m surprised that nobody else has been bothered by the interchangeable use of “shopping cart” and “shopping bag” because of the conflict between the theme and WooCommerce. (I would prefer the use of “bag” like the theme, but changing “cart” to “bag” in WooCommerce seems even more daunting than just editing the language files.)

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Will keep an eye out for a solution, sorry I couldn’t be of more help!

– Ed

creatorofstuff

That’s ok. I truly appreciate the great support you offer. Maybe one of these days a solution will make itself known. At least it’s not a huge deal.

Keep up the great work! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Mohammad – SUPPORT

Hi,
    I hope that you will get any solution sure .
    Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚
    With Best Regards
    Swift Ideas

Sean

Was there ever a resolution to this? I changed the terms “bag” to “cart” and every new update overwrites the files because they only work in the main theme, not the child theme.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for the following item
Login and Registration Log in · Register