New Landing How can we help? Themeforest Theme Support Flexform Flexform theme child

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Posted in: Flexform
    vander2000

Hi,

I try to  use the theme child for flexform, but  I  have some problem.

1 – I edit the CSS in my theme child, but I can’t re-define main style (example : color of breadcrumbs ) without  specify !important in all css properties. I saw all this style are define in includes/sf-custom-styles.php, so I comment some properties in an includes folder inside my theme child. But it doesn’t work. It’s like wordpress don’t go in my theme child to see my modification.

2- same thing append when I want to modify the team block in includes\page-builder\composer\lib\shortcodes\team.php . i copy the file and folder structure in my theme child, but nothing happend.

I’d like to stay update with your fantastic theme, so how can I use my theme child ?

BR

Johann

JR3 Creative Studio

Me too, same problem… I have just updated the template to version 1.3, and I forgot to install previously the child-theme … (luckily I had copies of changes made ^_^)

However, uploading the files in the child folder, are not seen by wordpress.

Cosmin – SUPPORT

Hey,

If you need to redefine already defined CSS styles in a child theme, you will need to use !important, as that’s how it works: WordPress uses the original stylesheet of the theme and you use the child theme stylesheet to add extra styles. Since the original CSS gets loaded, you will need to use !important on existing CSS styles.

You could eventually add an extra class to elements that you need to target, and use that class instead in your custom CSS.

For 2) I think you’ll need to copy the whole page builder framework, but I’m not 100% sure it will work. Ed, can you please advise on this one?

Regards,

————————————————————————————————————

Cosmin
    Support Assistant

JR3 Creative Studio

Hi Cosmin,

in fact with CSS there are no problems for me, i’m already using the !important attribute, what I can not activate in child theme  are the modified *. php

At the moment I tried just to upload the files and folders that I have changed, maintaining the same structure of course, but it does not work.

I will try to upload the entire page-builder and tell you know how it goes.

JR3 Creative Studio

Hi guys,

i tried also to upload the entire page-builder folder in child theme, but it is the same, still doesn’t work.

I believe there is also need a new function.php file in the child theme folder, in order to replace the instructions “require_once” and “include” contained in the function.php of the theme parent who currently load the entire page-builder.

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

If you’d like to have the page builder in the child theme, then change the parent theme functions.php file line 30 from:

include(SF_INCLUDES_PATH . '/page-builder/js_composer.php');

to

include(get_stylesheet_directory_uri(). '/includes/page-builder/js_composer.php');

and copy the file structure in the child theme.

– Ed

JR3 Creative Studio

Hi Ed,

thanks for your response. It was what I had done, but it returned the following error :

Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /var/www/virtual/domain.tld/root_fld/wp-content/themes/flexform/functions.php on line 30

There was a problem in my .htaccess, due to other plugins configuration that rewite url in different way, so i had to use get_stylesheet_directory(), and everything works perfectly.

Thank you.

vander2000

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I try to modify functions.php in the parent, but it give me a blank page for all the website page .
    Firebug console telle me ” : “NetworkError: 500 Internal Server Error – http://my-url”

I try the trick of VIVIViDa but same results.

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

If you’re getting a 500 error, then sounds like you may have messed something up.

What are you trying to do?

– Ed

clayton

I am trying to make basic template overrides and came across this post. Why would you want to edit the functions.php in the parent theme at all? I understand changing the include path to point to the child theme. But the whole point of a child theme is so that you never edit the parent theme so it can be updated in the future without breaking your modifications. Am I missing something here?

BTW, all I want to do it edit the file sf-post-formats.php to change the read more styles….which from your explanation cannot be done without editing the parents theme’s functions.php file.

I know that my child theme is setup properly because I can override other files such as header.php just fine.

Melanie – SUPPORT

I’m afraid sometimes it is necessary to edit the parent theme, especially when using such a complex theme like Flexform. I advise keeping track of the changes in the parent theme via a text file so you can easily implement them again after updating the theme.

Cheers

S

I love the theme, but I can’t keep nursing it every time there’s an update. Please make proper child theme design a priority. Otherwise, it’s hours wasted testing and re-customizing each time.

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

@foodfan – thanks for the feedback. Can you let us know what in particular you’re trying to do? We’ll see what we can do about improving this.

– Ed

julianprice

I agree with @clayton

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

@clayton & @julianprice – if you let me know the kind of things you’d like to override in your child themes, I’ll get this sorted for v1.6

– Ed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for the following item
Login and Registration Log in · Register