Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Posted in: Flexform
    thosch71

Hi there,

just two quick questions: Do I have to update Flexform manually or do you inform WP about the new version so that I can update the theme via the WP-dashboard?

If I have to update manually, does it suffice to overwrite the files mentioned in the changelog on Themeforest?

TIA and greetings,

Thorsten

Kyle – SUPPORT

Hi Thorsten

You have to download the latest update on ThemeForest, you can subscribe to get notifications via email when there is a new update.

Yes the files will be overwritten, this is why we recommend using a childtheme if you want to edit any of the theme files.

– Kyle

thosch71

Hi Kyle,

I already have subscribed. Otherwise, I wouldnt be aware of the update. 🙂

I am well aware that the files are overwritten on update. The question was, if it is sufficient to just change the files mentioned in the changelog. I only altered the header.php to prevent google-fonts from loading on IE8 (which still causes the theme to throw errors on IE8 btw.) and some of the social icons graphics anyway. I keep record of my own changes thoroughly, so no need for a child theme here. Nevertheless, just changing a handful of files seems like a lot less of a hassle than replacing the theme folder as a whole. I am running a business site and my boss doesnt like downtimes as well as he doesnt like sentences like: ‘Sorry boss, our site looks lousy right now, because I lost all the theme settings on the last greater update’. So again… does it suffice to just change the files mentioned in the changelog?

TiA and greetings,

Thorsten

Kyle – SUPPORT

Hi

If you like you can just change the files mentioned in the changlelog, however I don’t understand why you would want to make your changes everytime you update the theme? This is what a child theme is for, what ever files you edit, you save int he child theme folder, and when you update the parent theme you get all the new features and your changes are still there.

It makes much more sense to use a child theme.

– Kyle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for the following item
Login and Registration Log in · Register