New Landing How can we help? Themeforest Theme Support Neighborhood too much space after "paragraphs" in blog post and theme update problems

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
    creatorofstuff

1. I recently posted my first blog post. That went fine. I just created my second post. All of a sudden there is too much space between the paragraphs. I am doing nothing differently than I did the first time.

Please see screenshots. The new post is not published yet, but saved as a draft. It’s called “Boomer at the Groomer – A True Story”, if you end up logging in to see it.

Or maybe you can tell me how to fix this myself? (I hope it doesn’t include updating to 3.10.) Also, I have made no other changes to my site since my first blog post except some minor WooCommerce related updates.

2. I did the new update to 3.10 and it made my site look so bad I quickly uploaded the old theme. I don’t understand why so many things that affect my site appearance seem to change with every update. I end up having to customize things to get it working again, and then it “breaks” when I update the next time.

I am so nervous to update anymore. 🙁

For example, full-width text blocks were no longer full width. The text inside those text blocks changed appearance and the padding or margins looked different, the effect being that the text seemed too high in the block. I didn’t waste any more time looking around before I uploaded the old version.

Incidentally, when you go to the admin interface for themes, and click on details for the new version of the theme, you see a blank box, so when you update, you do it rather blindly. See screenshot.

I’m not even sure what I’m asking here, because I’m too afraid to make the update again. Advice?

Thanks for any help or guidance. I really appreciate it!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    David Martin – Support

Hi,

The extra p spacing is caused only on that post because the page builder is using a ‘full width text’ block, it should just be using a normal ‘Text Block’.

If you change that it will fix it.

Regarding losing changes when updating, it looks like you are using a child theme which is perfect – the only changes you should loose are if you edited core theme files.

Thanks.

creatorofstuff

Thank you so much. I don’t understand why a full width text block would have different paragraph formatting, but I also hadn’t noticed that I used that instead of a regular text block.

Regarding the updating problems, I agree, but this is why I don’t understand why updating seems to cause so many problems. For example, why would the full-width text block suddenly NOT be full-width anymore? And why would the text inside it be so dramatically changed?

Thanks!

David Martin – Support

Hey,

As we continue to add new features and improvements to the theme sometimes style tweaks have to be added – though changing legacy elements would be kept to a minimum to avoid these issues sometimes it is inevitable for future improvements.

A good idea would be to get your host to duplicate your site and create a ‘test’ staging site where you can run updates and mods without it affecting your live site.

Cheers,
    David.

creatorofstuff

Thank you, David,

I can see why you would make improvements that might affect legacy versions of the theme.

Perhaps it would save both you and your customers a load of headaches if you would create a dedicated page of fixes for those things on your support form.

For example, “if the update causes your full width text block to change, apply this code: …….”

If you already know people are going to have these problems, it would be helpful. Because it creates extra work for you, and it means we (the customers) have to create a post, then wait for the answer before we can fix the problem (if we aren’t good coders like me).

Thanks so much – I do appreciate the support!

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestion, will forward it to Ed.
    -Rui

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback – ideally we don’t want a fix page, we always look to resolve issues so that workarounds aren’t needed. 3.0 was a HUGE update, so there were always going to be a few things that slip through testing, but we are doing our best to keep on top of these and provide the necessary fixes. 3.0 is a much better theme for you to use, and that is important to us!

Can you show me a page link with that full width text asset on so that I can check where the spacing is coming from? That’s not an intentional change.

– Ed

creatorofstuff
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Hey,

No problem at all. First off, looks like both of those new pages aren’t registering that the page builder is in use. Please can you edit both those pages, and enable the page builder before saving the page again – that should sort the full width issue.

Let us know.

– Ed

creatorofstuff

I’m a bit confused. (Oh, and it’s all one page, by the way. I was just showing sections of that page.) When I logged in to edit the page, it was already in the page builder mode, which is where I left it when I built the page in the first place.

I may have made some edits in the “classic” mode, which I have had to do once in awhile through the site in a few places but for the most part, I always use the page builder. I certainly prefer the page builder!

But just for fun I went ahead and hit “update” in case that might help, but unfortunately, it stayed the same.

Anything else I need to try?

????

See screenshot…

Attachments:
    Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Only thing I can guess is the update not being complete. How did you update? Are you running a child theme?

– Ed

creatorofstuff

Yes, I am using a child theme. I have not touched the theme files.

I did the update through the admin panel. It looked like the screenshot. That’s when weird things happened.

Attachments:
    Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

It’s because you have a version of header.php in your child theme – please check the latest version of that file in the parent theme, and copy that across. That is needed for the new full width setup.

– Ed

creatorofstuff
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Hi,

You can try to include your google verification using a WordPress hook instead.
    Check this examples
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Action_Reference/wp_head

Regarding 2) try to set the padding-right and padding-left to zero when editing the Row asset.

-Rui

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for the following item
Login and Registration Log in · Register