New Landing How can we help? Themeforest Theme Support Dante Show custom field on portfolio category page

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Posted in: Dante
    morruu

Hi

I have managed to create an extra field on the portfolio category page with help from the ACF plugin.

It’s visible in backend, so I can enter an extra long description for the portfolio categories.

My problem is the content from the field will not show up in frontend.

I have set location rule to taxonomy term equal to portfolio category and named the field “portfolio_long_category_description”.

I tried the following code in the template taxonomy-portfolio-category.php:

<?php $category_id = get_queried_object_id(); ?>
    <?php $cat_id = 'category_'.$category_id; ?>
    <?php $portfolio_long_category_description = get_field( 'portfolio_long_category_description', $cat_id); ?>
    <?php echo get_field('portfolio_long_category_description'); ?>

I know it’s a question regarding customization, but maybe you could point me in the right direction?

Best regards
    Morten

David Martin – Support

You would need to consult with the ACF plugin docs, these will tell you how to extra meta data such as you are trying to do.

Thanks.

morruu

Hi David,

I understand. I found a solution by myself.

I used the following code in the template taxonomy-portfolio-category.php (yes I know this should be put in a child theme).

<?php

global $wp_query; // get the query object

$cat_obj = $wp_query->get_queried_object();

?>

<p><?php echo get_field('portfolio_long_category_description',$cat_obj->taxonomy.'_'.$cat_obj->term_id); ?></p>

Best regards
    Morten

David Martin – Support

Glad you got it working. Yes, you want it within a child theme or as a PHP function.

Thanks.

morruu

How can I turn the code into a PHP function? And would it be the best solution?

Best regards
    Morten

David Martin – Support

This is more of a StackOverflow question. Taking your above code, you would have something like this in the child theme functions.php file:

function my_custom_function_name() {
    	global $wp_query;
    	$cat_obj = $wp_query->get_queried_object();
    	echo '<p>'. get_field('portfolio_long_category_description', $cat_obj->taxonomy.'_'.$cat_obj->term_id).'</p>';
    }

You can then add your code to the page my_custom_function_name(); or you can use the WordPress hooks/actions to add the content to the desired location.

Thanks.

morruu

Thanks again for your help. The support is awesome 🙂

Best regards
    Morten

David Martin – Support

Very glad to help you out where we can.

If you have found the theme/support useful, we appreciate it if you can leave feedback on our item if you have the time as it really helps us out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for the following item
Login and Registration Log in · Register