New Landing How can we help? Cardinal RSS Feed problem – not showing full content, only excerpt

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Posted in: Cardinal
    Tekguild

Hello!

I’m having an issue where RSS feeds are only showing a ‘summary’, the excerpt, of a post, rather than the full text.

I definitely have ‘full text’ selected for the ‘For each article in a feed’ in the Settings>Reading (I even toggled and saved it each time, to make sure it ‘took’).

This only started happening when we moved to the Cardinal theme – previously we were using Flexform.

I’m wondering if you have any thoughts on what may be going wrong. I’ve already done Google searches and the only ‘solutions’ seem to be modifying the feeds related PHP files in WordPress core. Obviously not what we’d want to do to solve this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tekguild

On that same note – what is the function “/* FEED CONTENT WHEN PB ACTIVE” in sf-functions.php doing? It looks like it’s putting the Custom Excerpt into the RSS feed, rather than the full content of the post.

One more – what is the “RSS Feed URL” in the Theme Options panel meant for? What is it doing?

I’m just looking at all angles for why this problem is occurring. I’m testing in Feedly, just for reference.

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Hi,

The RSS Feed URL at the moment in Cardinal is not doing anything.
    If you are using the Swift Page Builder you should fill the custom excerpt function.

-Rui

SmallDogCreative

Rui,

Seems strange that one of the core features of WordPress (RSS) does NOT work in Cardinal.

Please tell us this is on the roadmap and, more importantly, tell us when we can expect that this core function will be re-enabled.

Steve

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Hi @SmallDogCreative,

There must be some misunderstood, I was talking about the feed url option in the theme options not the feed itself.

What are your current issues regarding your site feed?

-Rui

SmallDogCreative

Whew! Thanks!

Actually, we’re trying to improve the look and feel of the feed. So, two things..

First, unless we paste content into the custom text field, nothing shows up in the feed, and

Second, we would like to push a post thumbnail or featured image into the feed.

Neither of these things seem to be working as expected.

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Hi,

That situation of the of custom text field exists because of the Page builder because we can’t put the content in Shorcode format inside the feed. Because of that you need to specify in that field the piece of text you want to show.

Regarding the image in the feed check this article that explains how to do it.

http://www.wpcodesnippet.com/rss-feeds/display-featured-post-thumbnails-wordpress-feeds/

-Rui

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.