New Landing How can we help? Themeforest Theme Support Flexform restrict nav links in blog page-builder element to the same category

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Posted in: Flexform
    brianfogel

Hello I’m adding posts to the bottom of a page using the Blog page-builder element.  Can I can restrict the display of nav-previous and nav-next links in DIV class=”pagination-wrap blog-pagination” to posts that belong to the same category (or categories) as the current post?

For example, although a post belongs only to the “A” category there is a nav-next link to a post that belongs to the “C” category.  I want people to be able to navigate within this blog element only to posts sharing the same category.

Cosmin – SUPPORT

Hi,

Having it hidden on particular posts would need advanced custom coding, with which we can’t help unfortunately. I suggest hiring a freelancer to custom code it.

Regards,

————————————————————————————————————

Cosmin
    Support Assistant

brianfogel

Thanks very much for your answer.  I am a javascript and PHP coder.  Is there online info that could direct me to the appropriate locations in the codebase?  That would give me a head start?

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

You can do this quite easily actually, just edit single.php and change line 304-307:

<div class="pagination-wrap blog-pagination clearfix">
    	<div class="nav-previous"><?php next_post_link('%link', __('<i class="icon-angle-left"></i> <span class="nav-text">%title</span>', 'swiftframework'), TRUE); ?></div>
    	<div class="nav-next"><?php previous_post_link('%link', __('<span class="nav-text">%title</span><i class="icon-angle-right"></i>', 'swiftframework'), TRUE); ?></div>
    </div>

Hope that helps.

– Ed

brianfogel

Thanks, that was easy and it restricts navigation to posts in the same category.  However, this apparently works only if posts belong to a single category.  If any belong to multiple categories they don’t obey.  I guess there’s something more complicated going on with those.  Do you have any idea how to make this really, truly strict?

Cosmin – SUPPORT

That’s why I was saying it requires advanced theme customizations.

You would need to custom code a meta field for your posts, where you could specify if the nav links should show up or not. Something similar to what we have for the post options; you could add an option with a dropdown per post, to choose yes/no for the nav links.

If you’re familiar with WordPress development, you can take a look at our options framework and eventually add your own option in there.

Regards,

Cosmin
    Support Assistant

brianfogel

Cosmin, I am new to WordPress development but this is a good a time as any to get started.  Are you referring to the WordPress options framework or one created by swiftideas?

Cosmin – SUPPORT

Hi Brian,

Our theme options are a hybrid of Options Framework, custom shortcodes, custom Page Builder code and custom meta boxes added to the WordPress admin pages.

You would need to tie a custom coded theme option together with a custom coded meta box that you would add to post edit screens.

Regards,

Cosmin
    Support Assistant

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for the following item
Login and Registration Log in · Register