New Landing How can we help? Atelier Question regarding social sharing in posts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Posted in: Atelier
    NiO

Hi Swiftideas,

I have enabled the sharing option for posts and see three options there: Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. How do I control these sharing options? Is there a theme options panel for it? Can’t seem to find it ๐Ÿ™

I would like to include more sharing options. ow can I do that or do I need to install a plugin like sharethis for it?

Thanks,
    Johan

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Hi,

It’s only those 3 by default but you can add more modifying the social function.

Add this to the functions.php of your child theme and add your social links below the existing ones.

/* SOCIAL SHARE SHORTCODE
    	================================================= */
    	if ( !function_exists( 'sf_social_share' ) ) {
    	    function sf_social_share( $atts = null ) {

extract( shortcode_atts( array(
    	            "center" => '',
    	        ), $atts ) );

if ( sf_current_theme() == "atelier" ) {
                    global $post;
                    $image = wp_get_attachment_url( get_post_thumbnail_id() );
                    $page_permalink = urlencode(get_the_permalink());
                    $page_title = get_the_title();
                    $page_thumb_id = get_post_thumbnail_id();
                    $page_thumb_url = wp_get_attachment_url( $page_thumb_id );
                    $share_output = "";

if ( $center == "yes" ) {
                        $share_output .= '<div class="sf-share-counts center-share-counts">';
                    } else {
                        $share_output .= '<div class="sf-share-counts">';         
                        $share_output .= '<h3 class="share-text">'.__("Share", 'swift-framework-plugin').'</h3>';
                        $share_output .= '<a href="https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u='.$page_permalink.'&height=640&width=660&resizable=0&toolbar=0&menubar=0&status=0&location=0&scrollbars=0" class="sf-share-link sf-share-fb"><i class="fa-facebook"></i><span class="count">0</span></a>';
                        $share_output .= '<a href="http://twitter.com/share?text='.$page_title.'&url='.$page_permalink.'&height=640&width=660&resizable=0&toolbar=0&menubar=0&status=0&location=0&scrollbars=0" class="sf-share-link sf-share-twit"><i class="fa-twitter"></i><span class="count">0</span></a>';
                        $share_output .= '<a href="http://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url='.$page_permalink.'&media='.$page_thumb_url.'&description='.$page_title.'&height=640&width=660&resizable=0&toolbar=0&menubar=0&status=0&location=0&scrollbars=0" class="sf-share-link sf-share-pin"><i class="fa-pinterest"></i><span class="count">0</span></a>';
                        $share_output .= '</div>';
                    }
                    return $share_output;
                } else {
        	        global $post;
        	        $image = wp_get_attachment_url( get_post_thumbnail_id() );

if ( $center == "yes" ) {
        	            $share_output = '<div class="article-share share-center" data-buttontext="' . __( "Share this", 'swift-framework-plugin' ) . '" data-image="' . $image . '"></div>';
        	        } else {
        	            $share_output = '<div class="article-share" data-buttontext="' . __( "Share this", 'swift-framework-plugin' ) . '" data-image="' . $image . '"></div>';
        	        }

return $share_output;
                }
    	    }

add_shortcode( 'sf_social_share', 'sf_social_share' );
    	}

-Rui

NiO

Many thanks!

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

No problem. Glad I could help.
    -Rui

NiO

An additional question regarding thus Rui … are the sharing counts registered in the WP database or are they real statistics retrieved from the social media platforms?

Kyle – SUPPORT

Hi

They are stored in the database

– Kyle

NiO

Hi Rui, Kyle,

Any chance that you already have the extra line of code needed for sharing to Google+ lying around. Or is there a place where I can find more info about it?

Thanks!
    Johan

Kyle – SUPPORT

Hi

I’m afraid I don’t sorry, best thing you can do is check our theme files for the current sharing setup and google to see if you can find the code for google+

– Kyle

NiO

Hi Rui & Kyle,

Tried coping over the code to functions.php, but it doesn’t seem to be used. Is the code still valid?

Thanks,
    Johan

Mohammad – SUPPORT

Hi,
    1- Have you activated child theme?

2- Have you made any changes here in the code that is given by Rui?

Thanks
    Mohammad

NiO

Hi Mohammad,

Yes, I use a child theme and copied the code into the functions.php there. To test the code, I tried duplicating one of the $share_output lines to see if an extra icon would pop up. In addition I tried adding this: $share_output .= 'test';

As a last resort I changed the if statement if ( sf_current_theme() == "atelier" ) { to if ( sf_current_theme() == "atelier-child" ) {

Thanks,
    johan

David Martin – Support

Hi Johan,

This customisation is really outside the scope of support.

The best we can do for you is to take a closer look at your child theme. Can you please upload the zip file or provide us a link where we can download it and inspect it.

If you need deep customiations and fast, please submit a request here: http://www.swiftideas.com/customization/

– David.

NiO

Hi David,

I will customise it myself, but want to make sure I have the right starting point ๐Ÿ™‚ I have tried including the function code Rui provided into the functions.php, but it doesn’t seem “to take”. I had no problem so far with other functions …

I didn’t mention a zip file. Just want to overrule the social sharing function via my child theme ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers,
    Johan

David Martin – Support

Hi Johan,

I meant if you send the zip file of your child theme we can inspect it and advise you further ๐Ÿ™‚

– David.

NiO

Hi David,

Let’s forget about this now. Even if I get it to work I will need to put quite some effort into customising it. I like the approach a lot, but I simply cannot live without the G+ button as I have a large following on there … but getting it in there in line with the rest will be difficult for me. Maybe you can make this an official change request ๐Ÿ˜€

I will hunt for a WordPress plugin that does more or less the same.

Cheers,
    Johan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for the following item
Login and Registration Log in · Register