Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Posted in: Pinpoint
    henrycullen

I like the theme it’s cool

personally I prefer themes that have less going on. I prefer to code pages myself and use my fave plug ins

but I liked the idea of this themes so I gave it a try

but I’m having white flash page load problems on MAMP, I’m deploying the site to my server to see if it’s a MAMP issue but at the moment I’m finding the jerky page loading very off putting

do you have any suggestions ?

Ben – SUPPORT

Definitely sounds like MAMP being the issue, could you upload it to a server and then get back if the issue persists

Thanks
    Ben

henrycullen

Doing that right now

henrycullen

http://testsites.ashfordweb.co.uk/artiseanwell/

still doing it, just updated to the latest version, all plug ins up to date and they don’;t make any difference when on or off

not using my style sheet hence the site looks pretty ragged, but there’s not much in the way of content and I can’t understand why it is loading like this

I have tried with another version of pinpoint running under MAMP on a clean WP install with no plug ins and no content and its the same thing.

turning on caching in MAMP works, but it’s not an answer when you are developing and no good for a live server anyway.

any suggestions ?

Many Thanks

henrycullen

OK so if I turn off all browser caching with firefox dev toolbar it’s fine.
    no white flash , quick page loads , all ok

I’ve tried minify and total cache plug ins but no joy with those
    I am on a VPS but this is a test site for a client so it’s on a subdomain in a directory for the moment so I can show them the basic idea.

something is causing the cache to create this white flash in all browsers so it has to be something inherent to the theme.

I read about installing x-cache on my VPS , but it’s using SSH and I must admit I’m not up to the job

I’ll carry on trying to debug it tomorrow , but seeing as you guys built the theme does this shed any light on the subject for you, perhaps?

Cheers

henrycullen

got it!

it’s the script for the google fonts being loaded before all the css.
    delete it and the white flash goes away and stays away , tomorrow I’ll work out a way to include it properly AFTER the css.

now the theme is working properly I can get with my job.
    strange this hasn’t seemed to affect anyone else or at least no-one seems to have mentioned it , but it’s a MASSIVE difference to me.

henrycullen

NO answer?

Ben – SUPPORT

What answer are you hoping for?

What browser are you using? I’ve not had any issues or seen any issues on anyones pages because of the script, are you using a lot of fonts? If you use more it’ll be a much larger load time

Thanks
    Ben

henrycullen

Hi Ben

A simple “glad you worked it out” answer would have been great , but I’m nitpicking.

The code is the Web font Config script in the header just below the Google loader
    I moved it into the footer and the white flash has gone and load times have improved as a result.
    so there it is.

Try it, see if it makes sense
    perhaps include it in a future update , who knows?

thanks
    H

Ben – SUPPORT

Sorry about that

Idealy all scripts should be just above the </body> tag, the issue with this in wordpress is most of the things bug out or go wrong when they’re moved to the bottom sadly.

Glad you’ve got it sorted, I’ll see if ed has something to say about a future update to move it to the bottom however i’ve never seen the issue with it yet so I’m not sure on it’s severity

Thanks
    Ben

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Hi Henry,

I haven’t seen this issue earlier. It used to occur when we had the code placed in a separate JS file, however adding it to the head tag prevented the flash of unstyled text.

Are you still having any issues with this that we can look into?

– Ed

joern1

Hello, I have exatly the same problem – the white flashes, even if I click the post-pagination (nav-next). I just commented out the WebFontConfig-script in the header to locate the problem and yes, the site loads great – but without goolge-fonts, of course. Unfortunately I could’t figure out from your posts: do you recommend to move the script into the footer and if so, please clarify which part I have to put where. Thanks! Joern

henrycullen

Hi Joern

In the end I moved the code back to the header but just lower down below the Nav and it worked fine and google fonts worked too.

joern1

Henry,
    that worked!
    No more annoying white flashes,
    I really appreciate your help
    Joern

henrycullen

No Problem
    glad it wasn’t just me. and glad to help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for one of the following items
Login and Registration Log in · Register