New Landing How can we help? Themeforest Theme Support Flexform Minimizing the number of http requests

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Posted in: Flexform
    dekket

Hi.

The Flexform theme uses a lot of http requests for things that look like it could be concatenated into one, or at least a lot less, files.
    On my site, there are 15 (!) CSS files loaded. I use caching and gzip on the server so it’s not a problem once the first page has loaded, however I feel that a lot of these could easily be turned into one single file.

style.css (main theme), skin.css (layerslider), js_composer_front.css, responsive.css, font-awesome.min.css, bootstrap-responsive.min.css, bootstrap.min.css and layerslider.css could all be concatenated into the style.css. I realize that layerslider is from an included plugin, but it can still be done by simply copy/pasting into the style.css upon upgrade.

Another thing that I would love to have done, is a hard linked (<link rel=”stylesheet”…/>) .css file for custom styles. Instead of using a child theme (which adds considerably load time because of the serial loading that occurs with @import,) It’d be a lot better to just have a custom-styles.css loaded from the get-go. And not use inline styles from the admin menu… It’s just not good practice.

The rest of the CSS files on my site is from plugins, so you’re not responsible for those at least. I’m currently concatenating those myself at the moment ๐Ÿ™‚

As with regards to JS, there’s even more improvements that can be made there.
    There are 27 (!!!) JS loads on a single page. This is actually very bad. Two of which, loads twice! (jquery.flexslider-min.js and jquery.easing.1.3.js)
    These could be concatenated and minified into one single file, with relative ease:
    – layerslider.kreaturamedia.jquery.js
    – jquery-easing-1.3.js
    – respond.min.js
    – jquerytransit.js
    – layerslider.transitions.js
    – jquery.isotope.min.js
    – jquery.carouFredSel-6.2.0-packed.js
    – js_composer_front.js
    – jquery.mousewheel.min.js
    – jquery.flexslider.min.js
    – love-it.js
    – bootstrap.min.js
    – jquery.cookie.js
    – jquery.prettyPhoto.js
    – view.min.js
    – jquery.hoverIntent.min.js
    – jquery.fitvids.js

Note: if the ‘js_composer_front.js’ file is needed but the rest ever isn’t, like in the admin console, keep the file in the theme but only use it in the admin panel?..

The reason I’m such a speed freak when it comes to this, is because I’m seeing first-hand how slow speeds are decreasing ranking in SERPs. My site currently loads in 4.8 seconds, which is about 3 seconds too much. The request of each file takes up 70% of loading time, so there’s a tremendous speed increase to be had with fewer http requests.

Let’s not forget the old, yet very true saying: The fastest HTTP request is the one not made.

Thx.

Cosmin – SUPPORT

Hey,

I agree there are a lot of files loaded, but this is done for flexibility and ease of editing. We have decided to leave this optimization to be done by who really needs it, as there are many more people in need of an easy-to-edit framework.

Also, auto minification/compression is a tricky thing in themes for sale, as there are so many webhosts out there, that it’s next to impossible to have a single thing working on every one (many hosts disable certain things, so we couldn’t rely on some automated solution).

Regards,

โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”

Cosmin
    Support Assistant

wotkha

Hi,

Is there a kind of “How to speed flexform theme”.
    I really would apreciate.

Regards,

Melanie – SUPPORT

I’m afraid there is no such thing. Just make sure your server is a good one and your image sizes are low. All the best

Valmois

Hi Melanie, Cosmin,

Indeed the site is awfully slow due to the css style in each page!!!! (I never saw this before. You need to offer a solution.

I’ve chosen the theme because its also WPML ready but now its even slower. Working in the backend is far too slow.

Please note that this is not my pc or a lot of other plugins as I’m working on many other themes.

I really like FLEXFORM but the theme NEEDS more SPEED please!

Best, AB

Melanie – SUPPORT

Hi, as you can see in our demo the theme loads really fast even tho the css is added, so it’s not the reason for your slow load.

Works Of Bart Design

Speaking to the slow load time for your FlexForm theme, please consider this: I’m not talking about the load time online. I’m experiencing EXTREMELY SLOW load times while working on the dashboard in WordPress! It has also crashed more than once (see attachment)

I sometimes have to wait up to 30 seconds or a minute for changes to load! This of course is unexceptable. I have not experienced this with other themes, or other hosts. My host for FlexForm is Laughing Squid, not a big player in the host world but qualified. I can only assume it is the layers of code you have added to this theme for “flexibility and ease of editing” for the masses or the host is having problems generating the revisions quickly. I have also ex

Please look into this problem as well as the fact that on mobile it is also SLOW.

Thanks. Bart

dekket

Since my initial post, I have decided to drop FlexForm because of the incredibly long load times. Of course, this isn’t an issue solely with FlexForm – it’s an issue with a lot of purchased themes. Because of that, I decided to roll my own theme from scratch instead.

Valmois

Hello Melanie, Cosmin,

What did you do in the last 6 month to solve this problem?

You need to fix it otherwise you’re loosing credibility !

Best, V

Melanie – SUPPORT

Hi,

We (and thousands of others) don’t have any problem with the loading times, and as Cosmin also said, the files are necessary for flexibility, minifying them is hardly possible for themes for sale on themeforest.
    So what I recommend is personalizing the theme according to your needs. If your hosting company cannot handle all the files I recommend removing the features you don’t need.

I’m afraid if you’re purchasing a theme with that many functions and features you will need to take care of a supreme hosting as well which is able to handle all that.

All the best

Valmois

Hi Melanie,

Sorry, your answer shows that you’re are still completely ignoring the problem.

I bought many other themes at themeforest and I’ve the same hosting company for other sites and they have NOT THIS problem.

You’re using unusual coding – I consider to change the theme and to get reemboursed though.

Other support teams are adding these problems rapidly to their “to do list” (next version) to satisfy clients.

For us its a waste of time but you don’t care.

Best, V

Melanie – SUPPORT

I will gladly escalate this to the developer, maybe he can do anything to improve it for you.

All the best

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for the following item
Login and Registration Log in · Register