New Landing How can we help? Themeforest Theme Support Flexform Child theme not overwritting

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Posted in: Flexform
    justingrahamiam

When editing files like includes/page-builder/composer/lib/shortcodes/team.php i am assuming it needs to have the same file path in the child theme? They are not overriding to originals which concerns me if there is ever an update. How can i safely keep my edits when i run updates?

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Hi there,

The problem with adding these to the child theme would mean needing to move the whole page builder folder within includes across to the child theme.

If you’re happy to do that, then all you need to do is change functions.php line 30 to:

include(get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . '/includes/page-builder/js_composer.php');

– Ed

justingrahamiam

Thank you. I do not mind at all.

I forgot to ask about the CSS in the child theme as well. I have everything written in the custom css of the admin panel because the child style.css file doesn’t overwrite somethings. I have tried copying the css from the custom to the child style.css and a lot of it breaks.
    I have a lot of customizing and don’t want to write !important on every line of css if I move to the child css. But I would prefer to have all of my edits in the child theme. Any help on this?

justingrahamiam

Sorry Ed,

I just tried moving the page builder folder within includes across to the child theme and once i copied the functions.php to my child to make the edit my site breaks.

I basically copied the includes folder and functions.php

It is my functions.php. I copied it by itself and my site breaks. I haven’t made any edits to to the functions file yet. Any idea?

Basically is there a way outside of a child theme to preserve my edits cause they never seem to work 100% when editing themes?

nothere3579

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that you are supposed to upload a blank functions.php file with your child theme. Anything you add to it then overrides the main theme’s functions.php. (Unlike other folders in the child theme that replace the parent theme’s folders, the child theme’s functions.php is loaded in addition to the parent theme’s functions.php.)

Check out the section about functions.php:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Hope this is helpful?

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

@justingrahamiam – I’m not sure you’ll be able to override it in the child functions.php file, it would need to be changed in the parent.

@nothere3579
    – Thanks, but I’m not sure this can apply for the use of requiring something.. Could be worth a go though!

– Ed

justingrahamiam

Thanks for the input @nothere3579.

Ed, I am just concerned that my client will not be able to update if I cannot create a child theme with my edits.

If your recommendation is to edit the functions.php file in the parent will it be overwritten once an update comes along?

Any other recommendations to preserve my edits to allow the client to run updates?

justingrahamiam

Hey Ed,

I found this article. Could this be a possible solution?

http://venutip.com/content/right-way-override-theme-functions

I am really only editing small functional things. The theme is awesome and actually adds more then I need. i am just trying to meet my clients requests.

Here is my edit that I would like to preserve. I found this thread that does exactly what i needed to the team page:
    http://support.swiftideas.net/forums/topic/team-member-pages/

Also will try and apply what is being discussed in this thread:
    http://support.swiftideas.net/forums/topic/flexform-theme-child/

But any other direction would be appreciated. Thanks

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Unfortunately not, as requiring frameworks isn’t done through a function call, so there is nothing to filter in the child theme..

You could disable the updater so that your client doesn’t overwrite your changes?

– Ed

justingrahamiam

Thanks Ed,

I was afraid that that might have to be my last resort. In your opinion what risk is there for my client if I turn off updates for this theme? I only heard about security issues.

Anything major that I may need to consider?

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t say there is anything major at all. The important thing would be WordPress updates.

– Ed

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for the following item
Login and Registration Log in · Register