New Landing How can we help? Atelier Child theme and Atelier main theme update

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Posted in: Atelier
    dm13

hi Guys, i asked this in a different support thread but want to ask again as i dont fully understand it (beginner sorry). i have the Atelier theme installed. I have the Atelier child theme installed where i am adding custom CSS that you guys give me in other support threads.. this is so that when i update the main theme, it wont strip out the css i added. makes sense.

what i am confused with though.. when it comes time to update Atelier theme which i just did again tonight.. wordpress asks if i want to activate it. Now if i do, it will override the child theme right? and its not necessary.. but if i use the child theme, how do the updates from the newly updated Atelier theme get in there as the ‘things’ to use by wordpress? maybe thats a technical type question 🙂 i guess i just need to know that it works, and that each time i update Atelier, and it asks me if i want to activate it i dont need to do that step, and i need to keep the child theme as the active one – is that correct? thanks!

Mohammad – SUPPORT

Hi,
    Update of parent theme will not override the child theme’s code. So dont worry about it. You can update the parent theme without any issue.
    Thanks
    Mohammad

mikefrisbee

Same for me – I have 1.67 installed and I was going to update to 1.74.

I have a child theme installed and I got this message when I tried to update the parent theme: ‘Any customisations you have made to theme files will be lost. Are you sure you would like to update?’

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Hi,

If your changes are all inside the child theme, then they won’t be deleted but you have to check if your modified files/functions changed in the last version of the parent theme and copy the changes across ih there are any.

-Rui

mikefrisbee

Rui,

I can’t remember what modifications we made before we realised that we need to use a child theme.

Presumably we can update the theme and if we lose some of the changes, we can revert to the old theme?

Is there a failsafe way of checking the changes before updating?

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Just by comparing your current version with that original theme version so you can see what was changed, you have to use a software like Kdiff.

My advice:
    1) Unzip the latest Atelier files to your computer and change the main theme folder from Atelier to Atelier_new

2)Then upload the Atelier_new to the wp-content/themes

3) After this you just need to switch the folder names to activate the last version, rename the current Atelier directory on the server to Atelier_old and rename Atelier_new to Atelier.

If you need to revert just change the directory names again.

-Rui

mikefrisbee

Thanks, Rui.

I could upload files but not a folder, so I did a workaround. I created a folder in wp-content/themes, copied the current Atelier folder into it and then updated the theme as normal, via WordPress.

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Great. That will also work, the main difference is that with my solution the site will only be offline for a few seconds.
    It that’s not problematic for you, then great.

-Rui

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for the following item
Login and Registration Log in · Register