New Landing How can we help? Themeforest Theme Support Neighborhood cannot override Responsive.css file

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    jbordersfl

i notice when checking the source code, that “responsive.css” is called AFTER my custom css file from my child theme.

(evidenced by attached screenshot)

so the only way to make adjustments is to alter the original theme files, which i should not have to do, and get replaced on every update.

i believe this must be a bug of sorts, can you please respond when able. thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Hi,

Try to use our specific option for the custom css in the theme options, the updates would not cause any problem using that option.

Let us know the result.

-Rui

jbordersfl

this did work, thanks.

it’s a bit of a hack though, as a parent’s CSS should never override the child theme’s. and now i have custom CSS is both the admin area, as well as my child theme’s style.css file which isn’t ideal, but does appear to function.

Mohammad – SUPPORT

Hi,
    Great thanks to Rui.
    With Best Regards
    Mohammad

studio34

I am not a fan of having CSS put in any sort of Dashboard panel. It’s impossible to maintain. I used the following in my functions.php file to ensure that the child theme was added last.

function nhood_child_enqueue_styles() {
    		wp_enqueue_style( 'nhood-child-style', get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . '/style.css' );

}
    	add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'nhood_child_enqueue_styles', 100 );

It’s not ideal as your child theme style gets loaded twice, but it works for me.

jbordersfl

Ugh. well thanks for the tip for sure. the theme’s already huge, i’d hate to load the child twice.

is there ANY earthly reason why the child theme does not load last by default???

support crew? this seems ridiculous to me.

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Not sure if you guys are using the latest child theme version, where we don’t have anymore the the import of the style.css of the parent theme, but we use the enqueue of the parent one.

Do you have this code below in the functions.php of the child theme?

/* LOAD PARENT THEME STYLES
    	================================================== */
    	function neighborhood_child_enqueue_styles() {
    	    wp_enqueue_style( 'neighborhood-parent-style', get_template_directory_uri() . '/style.css' );

}
    	add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'neighborhood_child_enqueue_styles' );

This is the recommended way to do it in WordPress child themes
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

You can enqueue a different css file like a custom.css in the child theme.

-Rui

jbordersfl

thank you for the info. i was unaware of this new child theme necessity. i will give it a try.

the problem is the “responsive.css” file that loads lasts currently, hopefully this technique will override that and load the child’s css last. will update when i can get the child functions.php implemented.

thanks.

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Hi there,

Unfortunately this is a tricky situation – responsive css needs to load after style.css else the responsive styles wouldn’t take precedent. The style.css file is loaded before in the parent theme, and this is why when you use a child theme it is before. I’ll see if we can add in a workaround to move the style.css after if a child theme is being used.

– Ed

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Just sorted this for the next update, will likely send this out over the weekend.

– Ed

jbordersfl

great, thanks. will look for the update.

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Hi @jbordersfl

Have had to backtrack on this – unfortunately not as easy as I first thought. Best bet might be to use Better WordPress Minify – then you can choose the order of the output of files?

– Ed

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for the following item
Login and Registration Log in · Register