New Landing How can we help? Themeforest Theme Support Neighborhood 1.71: incorrect responsive css tweak breaks main nav menu for some desktop users

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
    airuck

1.71 has the following change to the responsive css file:

@media only screen and (min-width: 768px) {
    	#main-navigation {
    		display: block!important;
    	}
    }

A few problems with this:
    1. The biggest problem is that the media selector is wrong.
    As it stands, any desktop browser size between width 768-1024 displays a hard-coded mobile navigation menu. For resized browser windows, these desktop widths aren’t uncommon. Also, iphone widths aren’t this big even in landscape.

2. Because !important was used, the toggle button doesn’t actually toggle the menu, since the state of the mobile menu is now hardcoded to open for any width that triggers this rule, which makes it worse.

I don’t fully understand the intent: to default the iphone landscape menu to open, possibly? If you want to do this for some reason, here’s the correct code to target iphones in landscape mode:

@media only screen and (min-device-width: 320px) and (max-device-width: 568px) and (orientation: landscape) {
    	#main-navigation {
    		display: block;
    	}
    }

I tested this out and it works, defaulting the iphone menu to open in landscape mode while still being toggleable. Again, not sure why you’d want this, but it’s in the code, so I guess someone does!

Attached is an image of our site on a desktop with the locked mobile menu.
    Can this either be removed or updated to the code above in the next release? Thanks for your time.

Wordpress 3.8, 1.71

Home

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Hi there,

That code isn’t present in v1.71, but it was in v1.7.

In v1.71 we added the option to choose mobile menu or desktop menu on tablet landscape. Both of which we’ve tested here and all working fine. Sounds like you may not have got the latest version of the responsive.css file..

– Ed

n8-b

Hi Ed – I’m having the same problem. The latest version for download on Theme Forest is 1.70. Can you please send me the latest version?

FYI, the last two times I’ve updated the theme via the WordPress admin screen I’ve had problems with some files not being overwritten correctly. I fixed the issues both times by uploading theme files via FTP.

Thanks,
    Nathan

tt1011

Ed, I allowed WP admin to upgrade the theme files to v 1.7.1 but I too had this issue with the menu. I have since replaced the responsive.css file with 1.7 version to fix the issue. But i now have theme files for 1.7.1 and a responsive.css file from 1.7

what do you suggest I do?

Should I return to responsive v 1.7.1 (and if so please provide instructions and link)? or leave it at v 1.7 for now?

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Can anyone provide me with a site link to see what the issue is? Thanks.

If anyone needs the latest zip, send me an email via: http://themeforest.net/user/swiftideas

– Ed

n8-b
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Will reply to your email – you seem to have an old version of the responsive.css file uploaded too!

– Ed

tt1011

Ed – same result with the shared files.

Tried two different ways:

1) upload just the changes (responsive.css)
    2) replaced the full theme with the latest.

I use a child theme (in case that helps you isolate the issue)

tt1011

Ed – same result with the shared files.

Tried two different ways:

1) upload just the changes (responsive.css)
    2) replaced the full theme with the latest.

I use a child theme (in case that helps you isolate the issue)

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Sorry, I’m having one of “those days”. Just sent you the correct zip.

– Ed

n8-b

Hi Ed – thanks for sending the latest zip. Unfortunately, the problem persists even after a fresh install. Did you happen to send my an older version as well? If so, can I get the correct latest version when you have a chance?

Thanks – Nathan

deonpt

Hi Ed
    Sorry to jump in but where is the option in the theme options you mentioned here:
    “In v1.71 we added the option to choose mobile menu or desktop menu on tablet landscape. Both of which we’ve tested here and all working fine. Sounds like you may not have got the latest version of the responsive.css file..”

Cheers
    Deon

airuck

Yeah, I also didn’t see the option…
    Since the code seems to use max-width (which is viewport width), not max-device-width, so it’s not limited to mobile devices. When i checked the latest zip, i still saw the code, I think the confusion was due to it appearing as tablet code, but it was listed under the iphone section (line 433 in the latest responsive.css, added in version 1.71).

As a result of this change (even though I’ve worked around the original issue with my proposed fix), the top menu is gone for desktop users between 768-1024px, so i don’t that it’s fixed even without the code in question. Unless I’m mistaken, before the last 2 versions, didn’t the topnav show for users between widths 768-1024? If we had this menu option and could disable it, that would probably fix things for myself and Deon.

Here’s a testing tool that shows our layout at the various smaller resolutions, you can see the topnav issue there at 768: https://hookandloom.com/2014dev/responsive/?browse/cotton-striped-rugs

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Apologies guys – forgot that this option isn’t yet added (it’s in the v1.72 release).

If anyone needs this update before release, I’ll happily send it over. Send me an email via: http://themeforest.net/user/swiftideas and I’ll drop you a link to the zip.

Thanks,

– Ed

deonpt

when will the update be released?

cheers for you help!

😉

Deon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.