New Landing How can we help? Themeforest Theme Support Supreme Website "hangs" on loading ShareThis

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Posted in: Supreme
    motionstream

Hi Swift Ideas,

I have an issue that I’m hoping you can help me with. We have been using the Supreme Magazine theme since 2013 and we generally love it. We recently made some changes to our site to reorganize and streamline it to provide our readers with a better experience. Generally everything is good, but we have been experiencing a performance issue that I was hoping you might have a solution to.

First, our site is hosted by Synthesis and we use W3 Total Cache. Generally the site loads fast, but I have noticed lately that our site, can hang when loading the blog story elements on some of our pages.

The biggest culprit seems to be ShareThis. In FireFox, the lower right activity display says: Read w.sharethis.com. Sometimes it works fine, other times it will just hang there and I need to hit the refresh page to get the blog items to populate the page.

We have turned OFF all of the Social Media Sharing options throughout our site, so currently there should be no external calls to the ShareThis server.

I have read through the Swift knowledgebase and Forum and did not see a solution.

Is there a way to solve this?

Is there a way to remove the ShareThis code universally from our site? I believe ShareThis is built into the Supreme theme?

Thank you for your help and kind consideration, I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Lionel

PS: I will supplu our user and admin password if it is really needed.

Mohammad – SUPPORT

Hi,
    Please open to edit header.php file.
    Find this code and remove:-

<!-- OPEN Social Scripts -->
    		<script type="text/javascript" src="http://w.sharethis.com/button/buttons.js"></script>
    		<script type="text/javascript">stLight.options({publisher: "ur-72c8cf80-2647-2464-a894-abc33849d467", doNotHash: true, doNotCopy: true, hashAddressBar: false});</script>
    <!-- CLOSE Social Scripts -->

Thanks
    Mohammad

motionstream

Hi Mohammad,

Thank you for your reply. I understand what to do now, however, I’m not sure how to do it.

I logged into my site via ftp and downloaded the header.php file to try and edit it myself, however, I’m unable to open it in Dreamweaver or any other editor. I don’t have a developer environment set-up as the site was launched more than 2 years ago. (Perhaps we should have maintained it).

Dreamweaver gives me an error message when I try to open the .php file regarding dynamically-related files and displays this:

<?php
    /**
    * Loads the WordPress environment and template.
    * @package WordPress
    */

if ( !isset($wp_did_header) ) {

$wp_did_header = true;

require_once( dirname(__FILE__) . ‘/wp-load.php’ );

wp();

require_once( ABSPATH . WPINC . ‘/template-loader.php’ );

—–

So what’s the easiest way to remove this code from the header.php file? It seems simple if I can access it myself. Is there another application that I should use, I’m on a Mac.

Thank you for your help and kind consideration.

Lionel

Mohammad – SUPPORT

Hi,
    Please go to Admin -> Appearance -> Theme Editor -> Here you can edit header.php easily.
    Thanks
    Mohammad

motionstream

Thank you! Problem solved.

I have one additional question: Will I need to do this again when the Supreme Theme is updated in the future since ShareThis is integrated into the theme?

-Lionel

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Hi,

To avoid any update make you lose your modifications you should copy that file to your child theme.
    Check in the Themeforest files where there is a child theme for supreme.

-Rui

motionstream

Hi,

I’m trying to solve an issue regarding “ShareThis”. My hosting provider took care of this issue for me a few months ago and removed the “Open Social Scripts” code from my site. Since then SwiftIdeas updated the Supreme theme and the ShareThis script is back. I’d like to remove it myself so I don’t bother my hosting service each time the theme is updated, however, I don’t seem to be able to find the source code anywhere:

<!– OPEN Social Scripts –>
    <script type=”text/javascript” src=”http://w.sharethis.com/button/buttons.js”></script&gt;
    <script type=”text/javascript”>stLight.options({publisher: “ur-72c8cf80-2647-2464-a894-abc33849d467”, doNotHash: true, doNotCopy: true, hashAddressBar: false});</script>
    <!– CLOSE Social Scripts –>

I’ve looked in the top level header.php file and in the theme folder, but I’m not seeing it. Also I tried to go to Admin -> Appearance -> Theme Editor -> to edit the header.php file as suggested by Mohammad (above), but I’m not seeing a way to do it here. I’m only seeing color, widget options, etc.

What am I missing?

Thank you for you kind consideration.

Lionel

David Martin – Support

Hi,

It’s within header.php on line 153, right below the opening <body>.

Thanks.

motionstream

Hi David,

Thank you I will keep looking.

Regarding Mohammad’s suggestion: Admin -> Appearance -> Theme Editor -> to edit the header.php file — I can’t seem to access the header file using the Theme Editor. Can you tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Lionel

Mohammad – SUPPORT

Hi,
    I see that you dont have permission to edit due to file permissions. You can edit it through FTP software easily.
    Thanks
    Mohammad

motionstream

Hi Mohammad,

Regarding using FTP, that’s what I thought, however, when I download the files (I have downloaded the entire site) I don’t see the “OPEN Social Scripts” in the header.php file. I’m assuming the code is generated dynamically from the php database? …I’m not exactly sure what to do. (I’m a content developer, not a php expert).

Also, is there a way to change the file permissions so I can access the header.php file directly from the dashboard? Do I need to contact my hosting company?

Thank you again for your help and understanding, I’d really like to resolve this.

Lionel

Mohammad – SUPPORT

Hi,
    Please provide me FTP login detail / Control panel login detail to check and resolve the issue.
    Thanks 🙂
    Mohammad

motionstream

Hi Mohammad,

Thank you, however, I worked with my host provider and have resolved the issue.

You were right, I did not have permission to go in and edit the php files. My hosting company has turned off the Editor system wide for security reasons. I was not aware that I was not seeing the Editor function until now. I’m sorry for the confusion, but now it all makes sense to me. On the bright side, their tech support is really great.

Thanks again for your help!

Lionel

David Martin – Support

Glad you got it sorted.

Thanks,
    David.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for one of the following items
Login and Registration Log in · Register