Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Posted in: Joyn
    eddadee

Hi – I just purchased and installed the Joyn theme following the step-by-step instructions very carefully. After installing the demo content via the plugin, when I go to any of the pages, all I see is the spinning loader graphic.

Thanks for your help.

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Hi,

It’s already displaying. I had to deactivate the Revolution Slider because is causing that situation.
    Will forward to the developer so he can check this.

-Rui

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Hi @eddadee

I’ve got a feeling this could be to do with PHP memory limit, I see it’s set at 40Mb – With that many plugins I’d recommend at least 64-128Mb, especially with Revolution slider as it is very memory hungry. You can usually do this via your host or control panel (email them if you aren’t sure).

Hope that helps.

– Ed

eddadee

Thank you for the help. It looks like the Revolution Slider isn’t necessary for the functionality of the theme.

A couple more issues I’ve discovered:

It appears that several of the demo pages didn’t make it over – when I click any of the ‘shop’ pages, I get 404 errors. Under ‘features’, neither of the pages actually link to a real page – and the same thing is true under ‘pages’ – the links in the menu don’t go anywhere.

Another issue I discovered when I submitted the page to Google page insights (https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/). The homepage got a score of 14/100 for mobile devices and 18/100 for desktop.

These are the reasons it listed for the very low scores:

1. Enable compression
    Compressing resources with gzip or deflate can reduce the number of bytes sent over the network.
    Enable compression for the following resources to reduce their transfer size by 1.6MiB (76% reduction).

wp-content/themes/joyn/style.css could save 297.1KiB (84% reduction). + many more

2. Leverage browser caching
    Setting an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources instructs the browser to load previously downloaded resources from local disk rather than over the network.
    Leverage browser caching for the following cacheable resources:

wp-content/themes/joyn-child/style.css (expiration not specified) + many more

3. Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content
    Your page has 5 blocking script resources and 23 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.
    None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.
    Remove render-blocking JavaScript:

wp-includes/js/jquery/jquery.js?ver=1.11.1 + many more

4. Your page requires additional network round trips to render the above-the-fold content. For best performance, reduce the amount of HTML needed to render above-the-fold content.
    128.3KiB of the HTML response was required to render the above-the-fold content. This requires 4 network round-trips. However, if the HTML response were compressed, then the HTML required to render the above-the-fold content could be delivered in just 2 network round-trips. Enable compression for the HTML response in order to prioritize the visible content for this page.

None of the final above-the-fold content could be rendered with the HTML delivered within 2 round-trips.

5. Minify CSS
    Compacting CSS code can save many bytes of data and speed up download and parse times.
    Minify CSS for the following resources to reduce their size by 97.1KiB (16% reduction).

wp-content/themes/joyn/style.css could save 51.4KiB (15% reduction). + many more

6. Minify JavaScript
    Compacting JavaScript code can save many bytes of data and speed up downloading, parsing, and execution time.
    Minify JavaScript for the following resources to reduce their size by 74.6KiB (14% reduction).

Is there a way to address any of these issues? My current site scores 85/100 for page load speed, and I don’t want my rating to drop tomsuch a low amount (14/100) – it will have a bad effect on the SEO for the site.

I love your theme and would really like to use it, but am not sure if the page load is so slow.

Thanks for your time!

eddadee

I was able to add expiration dates to several file types by adding the following code to the .htaccess file:

<IfModule mod_expires.c>
    # Enable expirations
    ExpiresActive On
    # Default directive
    ExpiresDefault “access plus 1 month”
    # My favicon
    ExpiresByType image/x-icon “access plus 1 year”
    # Images
    ExpiresByType image/gif “access plus 1 month”
    ExpiresByType image/png “access plus 1 month”
    ExpiresByType image/jpg “access plus 1 month”
    ExpiresByType image/jpeg “access plus 1 month”
    # CSS
    ExpiresByType text/css “access 1 month”
    # Javascript
    ExpiresByType application/javascript “access plus 1 year”
    </IfModule>

This increased the score to 16/100

eddadee

I was able to add gzip compression by adding the following code to my .htaccess file:

# compress text, html, javascript, css, xml:
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript
    AddType x-font/otf .otf
    AddType x-font/ttf .ttf
    AddType x-font/eot .eot
    AddType x-font/woff .woff
    AddType image/x-icon .ico
    AddType image/png .png

This increased the score to 31/100

Getting there!

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster

Hi @eddadee

Have you installed the WooCommerce plugin? If so, go to WooCommerce > Settings > Products and set the shop base page

Have you set your permalinks to anything other than default in Settings > Permalinks?

For performance, check out the option in Theme Options > General > Performance – that will load minified scripts instead, and boost the score. Recommend using WP Super Cache / Better WordPress Minify (for CSS only)

Hope that helps!

– Ed

eddadee

Sorry to pester you, but for some reason, the menu isn’t rendering properly or something…?

I’m not able to see or click on the sub-items – the menu stretches all the way to the right of the screen. If you take a look, you’ll see what I mean.

Thanks again for your help.

I’ve been able to increase the page load score to 60/100 for mobile and 80/100 for desktop – so yay!

Swift Ideas – Ed
    Keymaster
    This reply has been marked as private.
    eddadee

Hello again.

When I go into any of the demo content pages to try and edit them, I get the following error:

FATAL ERROR: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 339733 bytes) in wp-includes/shortcodes.php on line 204

And on top of that in the Swift Page Builder window, it says I don’t have any content at the moment.

But, the pages all have content, so I’m not sure how to modify it.

Thanks for your help.

Rui Guerreiro – SUPPORT
    Keymaster

Hi,

You server is running out of memory.
    Check this documentation to how to increase the memory limit.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP

Edit your wp-config.php try to change it to 96M or 128M

-Rui

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.

License required for the following item
Login and Registration Log in · Register