Tagged: demo content
Post count: 21July 24, 2013 at 8:28 am #12716
(sorry I know I said I would post it here last week, but only getting the chance)
Just a note for anyone having issues with uploading demo content.
Weeks ago I had to add the large file, and got errors so thought I would zip it and then had no problems. Thought I should come back and post in case it helps someone since so many of you have had trouble. It seems to help with failed upload errors, invalid post errors, timeouts etc. and for many themes - not just for this theme.
I turned the xml file into a .gz zip archive first to shrink the size and had no problems at all since.
- Download 7zip (click this link) to do this if you don't have it. Install, then you can right click on the xml file you want to zip.
- Make sure to select gzip or .gz extension in the Archive Format dropdown.
- Hit OK (or is it Run?) and it will save your xml file wih a .gz extension
- When you are ready to import, you select the .gz file - make sure you tick the download media box while importing (see below)
For those of you that want to avoid multiple menu items (from previous failed import attempts) and want to import the demo content fresh, you can use the handy "WordPress Database Reset" plugin (free) to strip it back to a basic fresh install state. There's no need to manually re-install everything.
To get the demo content looking like it should, the following process should work:
- Make necessary recommended PHP memory limit settings on server as per the documentation first - if installing into a sub-folder I recommend ensuring that your changes are recursive as hosting companies seem to differ in whether this is default.
If you don't know how to do this, speak to your hosting company.
- Install & run the "WordPress Database Reset" plugin (if it's not your first try at importing the demo content)
(Select All for clean slate)
- Go to Appearance > Themes: select Theme (not the child version)
- Set permalinks: Settings > Permalinks (I used Post)
- Set up WooCommerce > Settings
Catalog Tab: change images to same size as per the documentation
- Set up Revolution Slider as per the documentation, including the text file.
- Tools > Import: upload the .gz zip version of the .xml you wanted
- Check the "Download and import file attachments" box. In the Neighborhood theme you can leave the rest (users etc) as the default
- Cross your fingers. Wait & let it work its magic uninterrupted.
- Go to Appearance > Menus. Set Main Menu as the main menu for this theme.
Visit the site and if all went to plan then Voila! It should work.
It should be same, same but different. Images, slider images, posts, pages & all.
To make it easier you can also then visit Settings > Media: untick the monthly dated folder storage for images "Organize my uploads into month- and year-based folders" to save to a central upload folder, and make your other changes. Hopefully this works for you. 🙂Post count: 15264Post count: 210Post count: 210Post count: 11032
You must be logged in and have valid license to reply to this topic.